On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:47:37AM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Larry Wall writes:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:21:52AM +0200, Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:
> > : On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:15, Smylers <smyl...@stripey.com> wrote:
> > :
> > : > For the benefit of Perl 5 programmers used to string reverse it
> > : > would be nice to have a warning if reverse is invoked with exactly
> > : > one string argument (but not with an array which happens to
> > : > contain a string as its only element).
> > :
> > : Such warnings can become quite awful as Perl 6 grows and matures.
>
> I was only thinking about that specific warning, not generally warnings
> that might be of use to Perl 5 programmers. And I don't see how warning
> about calling reverse on a scalar would be awful.
>
> It isn't something that makes sense to do (it's a no-op), and it isn't
> just former Perl 5 programmers who might make that mistake; anybody who
> does could be warned about it.

On the other hand, many of our other list-y methods also work on
scalars (treating them as a list of 1 element -- essentially a no-op):
.join, .sort, .any, .all, .rotate, .max, .min, .pick, .reduce, .values,
etc.  It might be inconsistent that .reverse on a scalar warns when
the others do not.

Personally, I'm fine with .reverse issuing a warning when it appears on
a scalar, but doing so will be inconsistent with the pattern of the
other list methods on scalars.

Pm