Hi Moritz,

Thanks that was interesting. My investigation into grammars took a while but
here are the results thus far:

> Grammar rules and regexes are just methods…

I hadn't thought about what a grammar and rule actually was before. This
inspired me to try:

---------------------------
grammar Gram{
    has $.x;

    rule TOP{
        {say $.x}
    }

    method test{
        say $.x
    }
}
my Gram $test .= new(:x("hello"));
$test.parse("ignore this");
$test.test;
say $test.TOP;
---------------------------
which outputs:
Any()                          #output of TOP in parse
hello                            #output of test.test
hello                            #outputted on direct call to rule
Gram.new(x => Any) #the return value of $test.TOP

So rules can't interpolate their grammar's attributes when being called by
'parse' but can when called as a method. Also rules being called directly as
methods return the parent grammar. I'm not sure whether either of these things
are intended…

=============================

Also I tried rules with arguments and it worked from grammar->parse but not
from calling directly as a method.

---------------------------
grammar Gram{

    rule TOP{
        <test_rule('hello')>
    }

    rule test_rule($a){
      $a
    }
}

my Gram $test .= new();
$test.parse("hello") #returns true
$test.test_rule("hello") #error
---------------------------

The error is:

Invalid operation on null string
  in any !LITERAL at src/stage2/QRegex.nqp:653
  in method INTERPOLATE at src/gen/CORE.setting:9731
 (at the line where test_rule starts)

=============================

Ok now to try the things you mentioned:

First I tried using a parcel instead of an array as the role prototype (array
resulted in error):
---------------------------
role roley [$foo]{
    token tokeny { $foo }
}

grammar gram {
    token TOP { <tokeny> }
}
---------------------------
my gram $gram .= new  does roley[('this','or', 'that')];
$gram.parse('this or that');  #returns true

So parcels get joined with spaces into one token

=============================

Now to try the around about way:

---------------------------
role roley [$foo]{
    token tokeny:sym<dynamic> { $foo }
}

grammar gram {
    token TOP { <tokeny>[\ <tokeny>]* }
    proto token tokeny {*}
}

my gram $gram .= new;
$gram does roley[$_] for <that this>;
$gram.parse('this'); #matches
$gram.parse('that'); #nope
---------------------------

Each iteration overwrites the previous one in terms of what 'tokeny' resolves
to rather than adding it (symmetrically? is that what sym is short for?)

============================

One more thing I found which seems to be a bug. I defined my nouns/pronouns
like:

---------------------------
token PN:sym<John> { <.sym> } #The dot should mean it doesn't get captured
token N:sym<ball> { <.sym> }
---------------------------

when my grammar parses this it ends up with a tree like this:
---------------------------
 sentence => q[John hit the ball]
  statement => q[John hit the ball]
   NP => q[John]
    PN => q[John]
      => q[John]
   VP => q[hit the ball]
    verb => q[hit]
      => q[hit]
    NP => q[the ball]
     D => q[the]
       => q[the]
     N => q[ball]
       => q[ball]
---------------------------

Notice the empty slots on the left. Rather than not capturing the <sym>  the
<.sym> just means it doesn't capture it's name :S

============================

So after all this I have a much better understanding of what grammars really
are but I'm still confused about a few things:

grammars are like classes. They are special because they have a method called
'parse' which applies a rule/token definition (regex) called TOP (or whatever
is set by the  :rule argument to parse).
Q: Are grammars meant to be able to have attributes like classes and are they
meant to be able to interpolate them into their rules/token?
rules and tokens are just special types of methods who's body is a regex rather
than perl6 code.
Q: What is the meaning of the return values of tokens/rules when called as
methods?
Q: Is it possible to write a normal method that conforms the the same interface
as rules/tokens (whatever that is). i.e. where we can use <normal_method> in
rules/tokens which is passed arguments and somehow matches and sets position
etc.
Q: Are rules/tokens meant to be able to have arguments like methods and if so
how do they fit in.
grammars don't check whether the things in their tokens/rules like <foo> are
actually defined until it comes time to call them
Q: Is this the way it's meant to be?

I saw your post on doc.perl6.org docs. If I can get my head around all this I
would be happy to help document grammars!

Cheers,

Lard