On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@jasonic.dk> wrote:
>> On 2016-02-20 20:50, Tom Browder wrote:
>>>
>>> I notice that module Net::SMTP is on the most wanted list and shown as
>>> a WIP. However, on a lark I decided to try:
>>
>> I guess you refer to
>> https://github.com/perl6/perl6-most-wanted/blob/master/most-wanted/modules.md
>> which seems to be a compilation of wishes for Perl 6.  Nobody can decide
>> what gets worked on in Perl 6; I think this is just a collection of ideas
>> for someone to pick up if they have time.
>>
>>> 1. Why is Net::SMTP available in the ecosystem if it is still a WIP
>>> (and doesn't pass testing)?
>
> Okay, I confused two issues.  Questions:
>
> 1. Shouldn't a Perl 6 module available in the Perl 6 ecosystem no
> longer be shown on the most wanted list?  (And if it's still a WIP,
> the installation via Panda should note that somehow.)

Specifically not addressing the "should it be on the most wanted list
or not still" question, but:

panda can't really tell if a module is "good", only if it's
installable. Seems like a README in the project repo is a good start
here. (and maybe something similar in the MW list). Or perhaps a
version convention.

I'm sure we can crib some notes from the perl 5 ecosystem here about
determining if a module has quality.

No one is suggesting the ecosystem setup is in a final state; There
will be hiccups like this as we grow.

> 2. How does one install a local (non-panda-list recognized) module
> (e.g., one downloaded with git cl;one ...)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

$ panda install .