On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Mark Carter <alt.mcar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/07/2017 20:31, Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>> I would question why any desktop computer manufacturers were still even
>> shipping non-64-bit capable hardware in 2010.
>>
> I dual-boot (rarely) with it, and it runs 64-bit Ubuntu. I am using a
> Dell, which came with 32-bit Win 7.

For quite a long time, the "common wisdom" was that 64 bit was a waste of
memory on smaller machines and caused compatibility problems, so
64-bit-capable hardware running 32-bit OSes was quite common.

(For Windows the latter is actually true, insofar as 64 bit processes can't
load 32 bit DLLs and 32 bit programs are actually run in a minimal
hypervisor on Win10. This was less well developed when Win7 was current;
the hypervisor only ran WinXP iirc, not 32 bit W7.)

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net