This explanation confuses me a bit, actually. (more inline)

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Larry Wall <la...@wall.org> wrote:

> In slightly greater detail, we're currently treating an undeclared
> variable as a syntax error rather than a semantic error, and we treat
> those differently.  Syntax errors are usually treated as immediately
> fatal becase they demonstrate we don't know what language we're parsing.

...because that was kinda the point. But with one additional piece of
metadata (when it last switched languages) and a small amount of domain
knowledge (that multiline in the current language is less common than
single-line) it can then suggest to the user that maybe there's a missing
end-switch.

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net