Perl 6 Users,

[[ Bouncing off Re: who own my code? ]]

This is the first of several possible spin-off questions, but here goes…

Perl 6 has its public ecosystem, which will drive growth and adoption.  Then
there’s the commercial side, which would also drive the language from another
important angle.  I believe in a balance of public sharing and private
enterprise.

I am interested in packaging some of my long-term Perl 6
projects/scripts/apps/frameworks into some kind of relocatable object form
(binary) that cannot be easily altered or trivially reverse engineered.  Put
another way, I sometimes would prefer not to sell source code to my customers,
but rather some form of compiled package that can’t easily be diddled by a
SysAdmin.  If I create code for a particular commercial domain over years, then
I want to get compensated for it and not have it be diluted with copy-cats one
week after I release it.  Certainly some of the generic libraries that I create
in the future can be modularized for the Perl 6 ecosystem and I’ll push those
eventually, but the really specialized domain-specific code that fills a
commercial void & that I will commit years to maintaining, I’d like to offer a
commercial license, key-protect, sell subscriptions, etc.

Again, I’m very interested in contributing to the ecosystem when possible.  I
still need to grow past baby/teenager Perl 6, and I’ll get there soon.  But
after creating something targeted only for customer purchase/subscription, what
tools are available in the Perl 6 toolbox?  I saw something for the Java
back-end (to .jar), but not much else.

Is there a Perl 6 roadmap that might mention compiling Perl 6 modules/scripts
into something atomic, binary, & relocatable?  Or preferably the capability to
compile only specific Perl 6 modules, requiring an existing Perl 6 on the
target host?

Thanks,

Mark