Hi Todd,

> What are the rules for what goes inside and what goes outside?

Also, do y have a link to what the various ":x" commands are that I can use?

See https://docs.perl6.org/language/regexes#Adverbs

The first section explains the two types of "adverb".
"regex adverbs" like `:i` can go either outside or inside.
"match adverbs" like `:g` can only go outside.

The sections that follow the intro cover all the regex and match adverbs.

I generally prefer to use "contains", "starts-with", and "ends-with" when
> the string is full of trash that regex needs to escape.

Me too because it runs much quicker and reads a bit more clearly imo.

--
raiph