Hi,

I'm trying to install perl6 on a commercial server. The OS is Debian Stretch. The hosting service does not allow root access, so everything must be done with user permission. I do not have access to apt. Snap package cannot be installed.

My intention is also to set up CRO and develop a web site there.

I have uploaded rakudo-star, and run the Configure.pl routine successfully. However, during the make phase, during the long PARSE stage, I get a persistent error: MOAR panicĀ  unable to allocate xxx bytes.

On each occasion I have tried this, I get a different value of xxx, from 15,000 to 48bytes. The assumption is that memory depends on other users/processes on the server.

The support staff is not being helpful (they claim userspace is 32-bit, but uname indicates a 64-bit OS is being used, so I don't understand their 32-bit concern).

Some questions:

a) Is there a rakudo package for debian Stretch I can install? (I'm just asking, but I doubt it).

b) Is there a way to reduce the memory demands of MOAR during the Parse phase?

c) Any other suggestions?

Richard