On 2020-01-01 19:27, Alexis wrote:

Hi Todd,

In my experience, /most/ programming languages in general use have 0-based indexing, rather than 1 (Lua is one exception that comes to mind). So when dealing with a new language, i assume 0-based indexing, unless explicitly told otherwise. Regardless, any decent introduction to the basics of C will mention its 0-based indexing.

Hi Alexis,

The last programming language I used, but not the first,
was Perl 5.  In Perl 5 you have to be careful what starts
at 0 and what starts at 1.  It took me about a
years to quit goofing `m/` in raku as it starts at
$1 in Perl 5.  Oh I goofed that so, so many times!

:'(

You presume "C" programming knowledge from Raku programmers. ...
So "is left as an exercise to the student" means the student
should first take a course in "C" programming to get around
all the goofs and oversights in the documentation?

i think what's being presumed is that if one is accessing C-based functionality, one has to know or learn at least the basics of C. This is no different from documentation presuming that if you're calling out to a shell from Raku, you'll read the shell documentation to learn how the latter works. The volunteers working on Raku have enough on their plates as it is; expecting that they should write an tutorial on the basics of C, when there's already a plethora of such resources available elsewhere, seems like an inefficient use of their time.

Yes and no.  If you are going to write a module that
interfaces with C, than you really should put down a
least some information as to how to do that.

I am constantly refining my NativeCall notes.  When I
am finished or close.  I will echo  them back here next
time.  It will show WinAPI calls, what the variable mean,
and how to interface with them.  Hopefully it will
be of some use to others and the overworked developers.

Am I coming across negatively that I sometimes post
these keepers of mine?

your words regularly seem to be belied by your actions.

I am not sure where that is coming from, but I will
definitely be more careful with my wording in the
future.  Please tag me if you catch me out of line.
I really intend no harm to those that constantly
help me. Thank you for the heads up.

I also do constantly check this list to see if I can help
others -- pay back for the help I have been given.  In
the future I will get much better at it as I get better
myself and hopefully be more on the giving end than the receiving end. It is more fun to help than to receive.

Alexis.