On 2020-01-03 01:07, Darren Duncan wrote:
Todd, nothing you said disagrees with what I said, and I referenced that same Wikipedia article.  (Though perhaps I could have been more accurate in saying a cardinal is characterized by an integer rather than saying it is an integer with a particular interpretation.)  In particular, the article is explicit that there is no limit to how many cardinal numbers there are.  So saying cardinal number is equivalent to a fixed size 32-bit integer is wrong, which is my point. (Also, negative quantities/counts are a common concept, but I can accept that the formal definition of cardinal excludes them.) -- Darren Duncan

Hi Darren,

I was just trying to come up with a type that Raku
would not think was a negative number if the first
bit was set.  uint16 and uint32 are perfect for this.

No uint8 though, but BYTE and Buf work for that.

I personally had never heard the term Cardinal until
I used Modula2.  A cardinal was always called
"counting numbers" in publik skool, probably because
they wanted to avoid the jokes about red birds.

:-)

-T