> Looking at the archives on rakudo.org[1], there are .dmg files, which
> are packages for Mac I believe. Though, I'm not using a Mac, so please
> tell me if these are just Mac specific archives to be unzipped.

While "dmg" files are quite convenient for OSX users, the OS can natively
open zip files in the finder also. A "dmg" is a disk image, and MacOS going
all the way back to System 7 or so treats it similar to mounting an ISO in
other operating systems.

The tarball I've created requires compilation in addition to just
> "unzipping", though. I'm not sure if that's a problem for regular Mac
> users. If it's not, I guess the Mac part is not an obstacle for getting
> a release out.

I'm not sure how many dev tools come with OSX, I am a developer so I
installed the XCode command-line tools (and Emacs and more...) Pretty sure
a regular Mac user would expect to open the dmg/zip in the finder, then
drag an application into Applications, and possibly a Docfolder into
Documents or the like. No terminal commands.

It's not too unusual for non-trivial apps to have installers, so if your
thoughts and browsing points that way, go for it.

And then there's "homebrew" the OSX package manager. https://brew.sh – I
don't know much about how homebrew works, though if there's a recipe for
Raku and/or Rakudo Star then people will essentially build it from source
on their own systems via "brew install raku".

-y