Are you familiar with dynamic dns providers like duckdns.org (there are
others, too). That coupled with a script that updates your ip with the
provider, like ddclient (written in perl!), should be a more
straightforward way of accomplishing what you want.
Also, thank you for clarifying what you are trying to do. Because the
answer changes a lot once you want to parse the page that you download.