FYI the original thread is viewable at
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg758713.html
and the post has several reasonable answers there. Among the first is a
classic Perl one-liner and suggestions along the lines of "what you're
doing looks brittle, how about doing the whole thing in Perl" and "tell use
what you really want to accomplish and we'll find a better solution!"

Raku content for fun and practice

$ *echo ' 34 + 45 \| abc \| 1 2 3 \| c\|123abc '*
 34 + 45 \| abc \| 1 2 3 \| c\|123abc
$
*# Good, shell echo preserves \| combo*$ echo ' 34 + 45 \| abc \| 1 2 3 \|
c\|123abc ' | raku -pe 's:g/\\ \| / \n /'

 34 + 45

  abc

  1 2 3

 123abc