There are no variables that begin with :

There are variable declarations in signatures that begin with :

:$foo is exactly the same as :foo($foo)

    sub bar ( :$foo ) {…}
    sub bar ( :foo($foo) ){…}

:$foo in a signature is a shortcut for declaring a named argument :foo()
and a variable with the same base name $foo

:$foo also does the same thing as an argument

    my $foo = 1;

    bar( :$foo )
    bar( :foo($foo) )
    bar( foo => $foo )

Note that forms with : can be outside of the signature

    bar( ) :$foo
    bar( ) :foo($foo)