On 9/1/22 00:45, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Work with Raku rather than expect it to be the same as Perl.

Oh I intent too!   I program in Top Down.  Perl 5's
subroutines are a nightmare.  I ADORE Perl 6's subroutines.

By saying above / below, this indicates a linear view of code at the same time.

Please elucidate!

    Can you show me an example of FIRST and LAST

    There are some in the documentation

https://docs.raku.org/syntax/FIRST

    syntax FIRST

    Documentation for syntax FIRST assembled from
    the following types:  language documentation Phasers

    From Phasers
    (Phasers) Phasers FIRST FIRST

    Runs at loop initialization, before c<ENTER>.

Which brings me back to my on going criticism of
the documentation.  It is a "refresher" for those
that already know what they are doing and do not
need it.

Can you point me to a good beginner's reference?

Treat the regexes as data for a program. Compile the program once. Run the regexes as often as you need.

Please elucidate.  That could save me boat loads
of time.