On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Dima Kogan <p...@dima.secretsauce.net> wrote:
> devel.chm...@gmail.com writes:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Dima Kogan <p...@dima.secretsauce.net>
>> wrote:

> Chris:
>
> OK. You are right. I am being too hard-line about this. I will look into
> changing PDL::FFTW3 to work both ways. Can we also make a parallel
> effort to align memory inside PDL itself?

My current plan was to address this following the PDL-2.008
release planned for Jan 2014.

PDL-2.008 is a clean-up release to fix the remaining problem
with 64bit index support where 64bit integers are cast into doubles
causing a loss of precision---a big problem if the integer is a
pointer value...

That release would be a natural start point for what I've been
calling the PDL3 work.  As you may recall from last Summer,
improved type support is a key component of the work to
include true complex data support.  This would be the natural
time to address issues of memory allocation and alignment.

> To evaluate the viability of my tree that does this, we need
>
> - some windows users to confirm that _aligned_free() must indeed be used
>   instead of free(), and that this is the only way to get a
>   memory-aligned malloc()
>
> - some test code for mmapped piddles. This should probably be added to
>   the test suite, if it's something we care about

Sounds like a plan.  The memory mapped pdls are one thing
that requires working 64bit index support.  For performance and
functionality, I think having mmap work robustly will contribute
to PDL3 capabilities.

> I'll need a few days to find time to look at the PDL::FFTW3
> piece of this.

Thank you.  Decoupling PDL::FFTW3 from core PDL releases
is key to PDL features and robustness going forwards.  I am
planning to take a look at the Alien::FFTW3 and other
Alien::XXX in the coming month.  As usual, it is the "as time
permits" kind of progress.  :-)

--Chris