STATEMENT OF CHURCH YOUTH IN AMBON

                      Posted by Tali Hulaleng on Friday, 6 August 1999, at
5:42 a.m.

Fw: [Eksol-Net] Spot News:
---------------------

A STATEMENT OF THE POSITION
OF CHURCH YOUTH IN AMBON AND SURROUNDING AREAS
IN RELATION TO
THE CIVIL UPHEAVAL THAT HAS RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS OVERTONES IN THE MOLUCCAS
-------------------
We THE YOUNG PEOPLE OF THE CHURCH in the city of Ambon, as an integral part
of Indonesia’s younger generation, wish to state our position on the events
of civil upheaval that have happened and are still happening in the
Moluccan Area especially in the city of Ambon and its surrrounding
districts as follows :

1. The civil upheaval, that is still going on up till this moment, is
caused by weak law enforcement by the forces of law enforcement in the
Moluccan area.
2. This is opinion is based on the reality of what is happening at ground
level at this moment. The practice of law enforcement seems to be very
one-sided.
3. The security forces who are supposed to stop the civil upheaval and
bring about peace, on the contary are making no effort to stop the upheaval
or bring about peace, instead are giving opportunities for the upheaval to
continue.
4. The Christian community both Protestant and Catholic are legal citizens
according to the constitution and have the right to protection and the
upholding of law, the same as other borthers and sister from other
religious backgrounds. Therefore it is not right that while, in this civil
upheaval, the Christian community both Protestant and Catholic in the city
of Ambon are being shot at, slaughtered and their houses and shops are
being burnt down, they are being accused of being separatists.
5. The civil upheaval that has happened and is still continuing must be
stopped stopped immediately by all parties concerned, including the
security forces.
6. We truly regret the statement by various parties that it is difficult to
separate the rioting masses from both sides because they keep on attacking
eachother. Such a statement places the Christian community both Portestant
and Catholic in a difficult position, especially when it must be remembered
that the appearance of Christian community both Portestant and Catholic at
each erruption of violence is not the reason for the violence and
destruction but the result of self defence whenever the Christian community
is attacked by the Muslims.

Arising from the above statement of position, we would like to put forward
our demands as follows :

1. It is hoped that the law enforcement forces will do their job justly and
fairly without any sign of discrimation on their part.
2. The LOCAL GOVERNMENT is asked to put a stop to all civil upheaval and
restore the situation both in the city of Ambon and also in the whole area
of the Moluccas.
3. The local government officials in Ambon are asked to make an immediate
inventary of each refugee site in order to register the population. This
should be done in order to differentiate between those who are permanent
citizens and those who are occasional visitors. This should be done so
that those whose identity cards show that they are really citizens of other
areas should be given arrested and surrendered to the respective officilas
to be investigated within 24 hours.
4. We really regret the policy of the Local Government of rehousing
refugees in the centre of a commercial district (Batu Merah Shopping Area),
which is not at all realistic and has potential for creating fresh civil
disturbances.
5. A complete investigation into who was responsible for the burning down
of Ambon’s commercial centre (the shops in A.Y. Patty St. and its
surounding area).
6. We want to ask the Local Government Administration and the security
forces concerning the repeat performance of a huge organised mass of
Muslims ( from the Leihitu area) who advanced freely past two military
command bases, burning and destroying Christian property. Such action if
linked with the Governor’s previous statement which we understood to be a
guarantee (i.e. if the people from the Leihitu area repeated such an
action, the Governor would be prepared to resign).
7. We strongly reject the presence of security forces, especially from the
army ( KOSTRAD [strategic army command]) and from the police force (Brimob
[mobile brigade] from Kendari and Palu)’ who we regard as not being
consistant in carrying out their duty as members of the national forces.
8. We ask the LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION to maintain the security
forces from the navy (marines) who we judge to be more neutral in
performing their job as peace keepers.
9. If it turns out that the marines, who so far can be trusted, are no
longer neutral in carrying out their duties, then we suggest that it would
be better if all security forces including the MARINES be withdrawn from
the area of conflict and let the two sides face each other directly.
Such is our statement of position and our demands which we convey so that
the appropriate action can be taken.

Ambon, 30th July 1999

ON BEHALF OF THE CHRISTIAN YOUNG PEOPLE
OF AMBON AND SURROUNDING AREAS