Hiya,

See below. Adrian and I (the Farrelll twins, he seemingly can't
spell it right:-) have cooked up an idea for MPLS opportunistic
encryption.  As he says, its very early days, but if this was
something that MPLS folk wanted to implement, I think that'd be
a fine thing. As of now, I've no real clue if they would or not,
but Adrian I'm sure knows better. And as you can also see from
the mail below, Adrian has already posted to the MPLS WG list,
so comments about whether this is good or bad for MPLS etc are
probably better handled on that list rather than here.

So my question for this list is mainly to look for comments
on how we've handled the opportunistic crypto thing, especially
from the pov of whether that's something that could be copied
in other protocols. The meaty bit of that is really section
4.2 of the draft which is quite short.

One particular question to consider is whether or not a
generic MITM-detection protocol for OE-using protocols might
be interesting or better/worse than the idea of having each
protocol define ways in which you might post-facto catch a MITM.

Section 2 of the draft has some introductory text about OE. I'd
also be interested in comments on that but as our draft says, we
expect that to be superseded by a more generic OE draft. (I know
that Steve Kent is working on one like that, and maybe others are
too.) So your comments on that might really end up improving
some other draft and not this one, but that's fine.

Thanks,
S.