Not going to speak for Dan, but the problems that were identified a decade ago
still seem relevant since you bring them back up; e.g. the small/medium sized
entity with
smaller resource pools to support enhanced crypto capabilities.   The answer
then (and now) is -outsource-… but this path is fraught with peril if we truly
want trusted systems.
Or we can just use the Baidu/Tata/Microsoft key escrow facilities…. and we are
back to square one!

Solving this problem requires folks to own/manage their personal digital
identity.

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.