Hi everyone,

I am following up on the discussion that was partially spurred by the reference
to the Golumbia article that argues against anonymous communications as a
universally accessible and acceptable service. I agree with the issues that
Golumbia has with respect to the unequally distributed benefits of anonymous
communications and absolutely appreciate the engagement with the topic.
Technically speaking, however, I find his position uninformed and his legal
analysis too short to do justice to the issue. What is maybe worse is that his
points are uncomfortably aligned with the “going dark” argument [0]: a popular
argument that is especially dubious when more private and public data is
available to law enforcement and government agencies than ever and the number
of non-commercial civilian use of encryption and anonymous communications is
abysmal. The latter is one important reason why addressing privacy in standards
is key.

Having said that, the interaction between privacy laws and privacy enhancing
technologies is complex and worthy of further discussion. In [1] you will find
an outdated but hopefully still useful paper on this topic. Also in that
article is a distinction between types of PETs based on the role of the service
provider, which you may appreciate.
Cheers,
seda

[0]     Going Dark by James Comey
http://www.fbi.gov/news/speeches/going-dark-are-technology-privacy-and-public-safety-on-a-collision-course

[1]     Hero or Villain: The Data Controller in Privacy Law and Technologies,
Claudia Diaz, Omer Tene, Seda Gurses
        https://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/publications/article-2365.pdf

        Constitutional privacy law in Europe and the United States establishes
the right to privacy as freedom from government surveillance. It is based on
suspicion of power and distrust in the state, which can unleash ominous
intrusions into the private sphere to crush dissent and stifle democratic
discourse and free speech. Over the past forty years, an additional legal
framework has emerged to protect information privacy. Yet unlike the
constitutional framework, information privacy law provides little protection
against the risk of surveillance by either governments or private sector
entities. Indeed, such organizations are assumed by law to be trusted entities
acting as stewards of individuals’ rights, essentially “information
fiduciaries.”

This Article demonstrates that an analysis of the assumptions and principles
underlining privacy enhancing technologies (PETs) highlights the gap between
the constitutional and information privacy frameworks. It argues that by
embracing PETs, information privacy law can recalibrate to better protect
individuals from surveillance and unwanted intrusions into their private lives.
Conversely, if the law continues on its current trajectory, emphasizing
organizational accountability and marginalizing data minimization and
transparency, PETs would become unviable and individuals subject to
increasingly stifling digital oversight.