>From: C Bobroff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I can't wait! All this time I thought the debate was on whether this
>character *exists* or not. I have not received any flames this time
>telling me that it's no longer used so I guess that means this
>discussion has served a useful purpose and we can move on to the
>*implementation* stage?? Now it appears it is not clear if it is a
>case of heh + a certain diacritic (hamzeh) or if heh + hamzeh is one
>entity.
>
>Well, in the latin subsets, one finds macrons, dots, accents etc both
>alone and as part of various characters.  If someone needs to type an "e"
>with a macron, they have a way to do so. If they want to type one by
>itself, they have that option as well. I'm sure no one involved in
>implementing these ever discussed the Roman origins of these diacritics so
>what does Arabic phonology have to do here, especially if there is an
>ARabic #7 and a Persian #7 and they're both one and the same?
>
>And I repeat, if the default font Times New Roman lacks this most basic
>character and the people who make that font are not Persian experts
>and are relying on incorrect info to make their font, what are we
>supposed to do? Gif and JPG everything? A font lacking one letter is the
>same as having no font at all.
>
>Are we working towards the day when we can for example, scan and OCR
>a medieval Persian text  where Arabic and Persian words  appear
>side by side and to which we can insert some remarks in the contemporary
>Persian style as well and post on the internet?
>
>-Connie

Correct. I agree.

There are some people in the Persian IT and linguistics debate who think
that they have a duty to lay down rules for other people to follow. At first
we were told how to write the <ezafeh>. Now we have been told how to write
the <hamzeh>. Next I expect we will be told how to combe our hair. Such
people should go and offer themselves up as a candidate for the <vela^yate
faqih>. They have nothing to offer to the Persian IT and language discusion.

Abi