Hello all,

We have a Navajo rug and native basketry exhibit coming in to our changing
exhibits gallery and several of the rugs have shown webbing-like residue
and one of the baskets has frass in the spaces between the weaving. I
recently put some data loggers in our chest freezer and it only goes down
to about -15 degrees C. I have read that -30 C is recommended but I would
imagine it varies by pest. Is it possible that webbing clothes moths and,
say, drugstore beetles are killed at higher temperatures?

I realize I am dreading talking to the curator and the director to tell
them we either can't take these items for the exhibit or we need to buy a
new freezer. Is there some way to achieve a good kill rate without such a
low temperature? Repeated freeze/thaws etc? Could I add some dry ice? Rig
something up to make it colder? It has also proven difficult to source
local commercial freezers. I realize we will need to replace it eventually
but my director is generally reluctant to spend money (I'm sure none of you
can relate....) and I wonder if we can pull something together at least for
this exhibit.

Thank you for any input,
Katy

*Katharine Corneli*
*Curator of Collections* | *Prehistoric Museum*

*155 E Main, Price, Utah 84501*
*Office*: 435-613-5765
*Email*: katharine.corn...@usu.edu

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/98b19e9c-4aff-4622-891a-1cc3673948b0%40googlegroups.com.