Hello folks,

We've had a problem with red-legged ham beetles in our (moderately extensive)
mammal teaching collection for years now. They got in by infesting our outdoor
dermestid colony and riding in on the cleaned specimens. I was pretty vigilant
about freezing skeletal material that came out of the colony, but either I
wasn't vigilant enough, or RLHBs aren't killed by treatment in a standard chest
freezer.

In any case, they are horribly tenacious. At various times we have
isolated/bagged material, froze material in the -80, multiple treatments of
diatomaceous earth. But we can't bag everything because it's the teaching
collection and gets regular use, and the RLHBs keep showing up again.
Has anyone successfully eradicated these critters? If so, how? At this point we
are even considering using a nasty pesticide if it will work, especially since
the classes that would use the collection are remote right now, so the students
are out of harm's way for a while.

-Suellen

Suellen Jacob
Vertebrate Collections Manager