From: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com> on behalf of
Novick, Isabel <inov...@bu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, 16 January 2021 5:47 AM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [PestList] Webbing Clothes Moths for Science

Hi all,

I am a PhD student looking into the biogeographic origins of our nemesis, the
webbing clothes moth (Tineola bisselliella). Coming from a museum background, I
understand the challenges and frustrations involved with the management of this
pest. Unfortunately, our current knowledge of this moth family is scant,
despite the enormous threat it poses to tangible cultural heritage. Because of
this, I staunchly believe that we need a more comprehensive understanding of
this moth's natural history. In order to work towards effective management of
this widespread, yet little-known, pest species, I intend to explore the
molecular phylogeny, population structure, and sexual communication of WCM from
around the globe.

If your institution struggles with unwelcome moth visitors and is interested in
working towards a solution with me, please send an email to inov...@bu.edu. I
look forward to hearing from you and helping to improve collections management
practices together.

Lastly, I want to make clear that I understand the implications for world-class
institutions struggling with pest infestations. I know that this problem can be
embarrassing and stressful, but it in no way means that your museum has
neglected your collection. On the contrary, if you have noticed moth presence
in your collections spaces, your collections management practices are obviously
up to snuff-- it is clear that you're paying close attention to your artifacts
if you are noticing tiny moths. Ultimately, if you choose to work with me and
contribute samples to my project, I will keep your contributions confidential
unless otherwise specified. I don't want any concerns about perception of
quality of collections management standing in the way of science, as I know
that this concern is valid.

All the best,
Isabel Novick

pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/MN2PR03MB53591219FB91A3C57114B6C6C8A80%40MN2PR03MB5359.namprd03.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/MN2PR03MB53591219FB91A3C57114B6C6C8A80%40MN2PR03MB5359.namprd03.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.