From: gwoodcox8 <gwoodc...@gmail.com>
To: MuseumPests <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Feb 8, 2021 1:14 pm
Subject: [PestList] Teaching Lodge

All:
We're in the process of renovating and redoing our 10,000sf history gallery and
one section talks about the Anishinabek history of our area. We've commissioned
Native American artists to make a teaching lodge, which will be not only an
immersive exhibit space but also a classroom for school groups. I'm so stoked
about how this will look, but I am concerned about pest issues.
According to the artists, it will be made with Maple saplings, cedar framing
and cedar bark outer shell, tied together with rawhide. The plant materials
will be gathered from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this spring and summer,
the frame will be installed over the summer, and the cedar bark outer layers
installed in late summer/early fall.
One thing working for us is that install of this piece will finish up 3-4
months before the first artifacts go into the space.
>From what I can tell, powderpost beetles don't attack cedar or maple, but what
>other pests do I need to look out for? Any suggestions for how to mitigate the
>risks?
I look forward to your input and suggestions.
Geoff WoodcoxCurator of CollectionsSloan Museum of Discovery
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/af50b1d3-4e61-4c11-8f64-fd274b21f770n%40googlegroups.com.