Hi Tara
I’m not familiar with any bugs eating the pollen. You may get psocids (book
lice) feeding on mould and damaging the pollen, but otherwise it’s normally
the leaves, etc., that are attacked.
Aside from the possibility of the pollen attracting bugs (e.g. releasing
pheromones to attract insects that aid in pollination), I don’t think
there’s much risk.
I’m actually working at the herbarium here in Sydney in a few hours and
I’ll ask them if they’re aware of issues and/or preventive measures for
pollen storage. We’ve looked at barrier bags to reduce damage to plants by
herbarium beetles (Stegobium). In fact we’re looking at creating a large
barrier bag (to store boxes in nitrogen) that will enclose thousands of the
most vulnerable specimens.
You might also want to contact some of the people working in herbariums, as
they should have information on the risks with storing herbaria/pollen, and
ideas for storage.
Best wishes
Alex

--