From: pestlist@googlegroups.com [mailto:pestlist@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Pollack, Richard J
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 2:53 PM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [PestList] Need for advice

This sounds as intriguing is it will be challenging. I’ve seen a few such
displays in which the hollow jaw bone had been inhabited by mice (within a
museum), and by spiders, paper wasps and mud dauber wasps (outdoors). The bones
might be endowed with yet other cavity-dwelling beasts. Freezing is not likely
an option (who has a freezer that size?). If you’re concerned that any beasts
might be transported indoors, then consider wrapping or tenting the bones, and
purging the interior with a gas that either has toxicant properties (less
desirable for many reasons) or one that merely displaces oxygen. Perhaps, you
might initially assess the bones in a garage setting where any escaping
villains won’t pose risk to museum accessions.

Good luck!
Rich

Richard J. Pollack, PhD
HARVARD UNIVERSITY
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
Senior Environmental Public Health Officer
46 Blackstone St.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Office: 617-495-2995  Cell: 617-447-0763
www.ehs.harvard.edu<http://www.ehs.harvard.edu>
richard_poll...@harvard.edu<mailto:richard_poll...@harvard.edu>

From: <pestlist@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist@googlegroups.com>> on behalf
of Geraldine Finlayson