Nancy -
You are correct - carpet beetle larvae did this.
Tom Parker

-----Original Message-----
From: Jenner, Nancy@Parks <nancy.jen...@parks.ca.gov>
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am
Subject: [PestList] Frass and damage on horn button

 #yiv2630696620 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}Hello--  we're cleaning and
processing some collections that have already been through a freeze cycle.
One item (a fabric bag with a button closure) has buttons that are seriously
damaged, and residual frass.   I've tentatively identified this as a horn
button, and my guess is that this is damage from dermestid larvae.  Wondering
if anyone might be able to confirm that, or suggest another culprit?
(note-- the fabric is not damaged)
Thanks very much!
Nancy

Nancy Jenner, Curator
California State Parks
Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park & State Indian Museumemail:
nancy.jen...@parks.ca.gov

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/BY5PR09MB5425D61EF31734AB9614BE22B05B9%40BY5PR09MB5425.namprd09.prod.outlook.com.