From: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Alan P
Van Dyke <apvand...@utexas.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2022 8:46 AM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [PestList] Pest identification

They are mites, and they probably aren't a threat to your collections.  We have
mites in our collection storage spaces as well, but ours aren't as big.  The
ones I find are never bigger than a psocid, but yours appears to be as big as a
dermestid larvae?

I'm not an expert, but I have theories!  I'm pretty sure our mites eat
micro-fungi.  I find them in the same spaces where I find booklice.  I also
only find them in traps placed on the floor, for the most part.  Our floors are
linoleum tile with small gaps between the tiles.  I suspect both the mites and
the psocids primarily inhabit these spaces, which even in rooms with good
climate control will maintain a nice environment for small amounts of fungi to
grow.

I'm very curious to hear what thoughts others have about these.

Alan

Alan Van Dyke, Senior Preservation Technician
Harry Ransom Center<http://www.hrc.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin <http://www.utexas.edu>
P.O. Drawer 7219
Austin, Texas 78713-7219
P: 512-232-4614
[X][https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4xJbmz-qJZ-AJsSAfv4-bdiK8JWeOnbpVvFJCgdLj7WehgpUvQoYgfu918RmaC7AkEiyOmUtC8]
[X]
[X]<https://www.hrc.utexas.edu/>

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 3:32 PM Lind, Mike