Adrienne,
This looks like it could be red imported fire ants. They have a stinger (I
think I see it in one pic). The shape of the nodes looks right. Coloration is
right. The NCSU link describes them pushing soil through a crack indoors during
nest building. And you're within their range.

OK State article
https://extension.okstate.edu/programs/digital-diagnostics/insects-and-arthropods/red-imported-fire-ant-solenopsis-invicta/

Excavation
https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/red-imported-fire-ant/

Baiting RIFA
https://ant-pests.extension.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/RIFA_Bait_Treatment_Hints_For_SC.pdf

Not 100% sure I'm right but in case they are RIFA be careful!
Jody

Jody Gangloff-Kaufmann, PhD
Senior Extension Associate, Community IPM Coordinator
The New York State Integrated Pest Management Program
Cornell University
60 Fire Island Ave, Babylon, NY 11702
631.539.8680
jl...@cornell.edu<mailto:jl...@cornell.edu>