I think the fly may be a kind of long legged fly? Not sure about the other one
though! 😊

From: pestlist@googlegroups.com <pestlist@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Fiona
McLaughlan
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 2:36 PM
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com
Subject: [PestList] FW: Pest identification please

From: Fiona McLaughlan
Sent: Monday, 13 March 2023 4:29 p.m.
To: pestlist@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Pest identification please

Morena,

We have recently discovered a problems in our Plant Room with the accumulation
of organic material (leaves etc) blowing into the room when the filters are
changed. I’ve deep cleaned the room where I could but there are a number of
high level areas I can’t reach so working on a Plan B. I have set up a system
of blunder traps in this space and until now have ‘only’ found clothes moths.
Today I found these newbies; a winged insect and beetle on a trap.

I thought that the winged insect might be a bark lice (with the very striking
wing pattern) and the beetle a Trogidae (hide beetle). Unfortunately I couldn’t
see the antenna on the beetle, but it does have rather muscular legs and the
and textured wing casing. The beetle was  approx 5mm. I’m not sure if I’m
trying to make the insect fit the environment – if that makes sense – so would
really appreciate an identification. I’m located in the south of the South
Island, New Zealand.

Many thanks for help, Fiona

Fiona McLaughlan
Conservator
Toitū Otago Settlers Museum

P  03 477 4000  |  DD  03 474 2723  |  M  021 301793  |  E
fiona.mclaugh...@dcc.govt.nz<mailto:fiona.mclaugh...@dcc.govt.nz>
Dunedin City Council, 50 The Octagon, Dunedin
PO Box 5045, Dunedin 9054
New Zealand
www.dunedin.govt.nz<http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/>

pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:pestlist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/PSAPR03MB5688195A46851500251705EBDB819%40PSAPR03MB5688.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pestlist/PSAPR03MB5688195A46851500251705EBDB819%40PSAPR03MB5688.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.