This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.
To unsubscribe look at the footer of this email.
-----------------------------------------------------------All:

One can find tests for arsenic in the book "Material Characterization Tests" by
Odegaard, Carroll, and Zimmt.  Once you get the materials, the tests are not
hard to do.

Suzanne Hargrove
Head of Conservation
Toledo Museum of Art
2445 Monroe St.
Toledo, OH  43620
tel. 419-254-5771 X7460
fax. 419-254-5773
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 8/12/2008 7:22:57 PM >>>
Such an old taxidermy mount was undoubtedly processed in the "old days" when
arsenical dusts were rubbed into the skin and fur by the taxidermist.  The
Smithsonian houses lots of these old mounts, especially Teddy Roosevelt's
trophies.  Except for dust, they are in good shape today.

Any insect larva which begins to feed on the fur will be killed.  No need to do
any further "pest proofing".  Just warn those who work on the mount and keep it
in an enclosure away from public hands when displayed.  Arsenicals are stomach
poisons, not dermal poisons.  Therefore the risk of toxicity to humans is low
as long as one wears appropriate gloves and washes their hands if they've
handled the specimen.

Tom Parker