Megan,

Another issue with raw wool - other than what has already been mentioned -
is that it outgasses sulphur which combines with the ambient RH in the air
to form an acidic vapour - this can corrode metal artifacts, especially in a
closed case microenvironment.

Cheers,
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles, CA