Friends of Museumpests list -

Credit for the introduction of the use of nitrogen, CO2, and later argon to the
museum community in the U.S. really goes to Colin Smith of Rentokil, Inc. of
England.  This large pest management firm first developed the "bubble", a
large, zippered bag for fumigation of grain with methyl bromide in developing
countries in the 80's.  When Colin first brought the "bubble" to the U.S., and
contacted me to guide him through the intricacies of the museum community, he
thought it would be used for museum fumigations with methyl bromide.  Upon
consultation with me and others in the museum community, he was forced to
quickly change his thinking when working with museum artifacts; methyl bromide
would not be acceptable for fumigation of museum artifacts.

It was then he altered his approaches to use a combination of nitrogen and CO2.
 The CO2 made the insects and their eggs respire more rapidly and shortened the
time it took for complete kill.  Rentokil then set up a distributorship of the
bubble in the U.S., which later changed hands several times in the ensuing
years.  From this early beginning, the Getty subsequently produced studies of
the effects of using inert gases for disinfestation of museum artifacts.
Thanks goes to Colin Smith, Rentokil, Inc., and the Getty for their work and
research in this important area of museum IPM.

Thomas A. Parker, PhD
President, Entomologist
Pest Control Services, Inc.