This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.

Hi,

I agree with everybody that this is a very good question and I would like to
extend the question to microbial infestations.
Fungal spores are, as we all know, ubiquitous, meaning present everywhere.
Clearly, we can consider active fungal growth an infestation as opposed to
dormant spores sitting on an objects surface.
However, I have read expressions such as: No fingicidal treatment was applied,
however, fungal infestation was reduced to an acceptable level with mechanical
cleaning (vacuuming, cotton swabs with 70% ethanol), followed by storage in
stable climate....
I was wondering if anybody knows of quantitative data as to what an accptable
level might be (meaning how many colony forming units per surface area of a
given material).
even more difficult would be bacterial infestations, so any qualitative or
quantitative data indicating a kind of threshold concentration of
microorganismens when antimicrobial action must start would be appreaciated.
I only know of some numbers of microbial activity, measured by ATP
concentration for food industry. However, the "acceptable level" might be
higher for cultural heritage than for food items.
 Sincerely,
Stefanie Scheerer

Dr. Stefanie Scheerer
Vertretung Professur
HTW Berlin, Fachbereich 5
Studiengang Konservierung und Restaurierung/Grabungstechnik
Moderne Materialien und Technisches Kulturgut
Modern Materials and Industrial Heritage
Wilhelminenhofstraße 75a
D – 12459 Berlin
Telefon1: +49 (0)711 / 9127 5899
Telefon2: +49 (0)30 / 5019 4258
Telefax +49 (0)30 / 5019 4709
mobil: +49 (0)151 22 82 62 14
http://krg.htw-berlin.de

This is a message from the Pest Management Database List.

You are talking about risk here. An annual migration where the insects
(or other critters) get into the museum or historic structure, not only
provide a food source for pest species, but also indicate the presence
of access points that pest species can use also. This is potentially a
high risk scenario.

Perhaps the question is active or inactive pest activity.  I always try
to make that distinction (if possible) when monitoring either a space or
an object.  An active infestation indicates ongoing activity (either
pest or non-pest species) - and higher risk.  Ongoing monitoring gives
you the data you need to determine action.

Evidence of past infestations that you suspect are no longer active is
important to note - it shows vulnerable specimens or areas. Inactive
infestations where damage has occurred to the object.

Monitoring is the key here.  You need to know what species are present
and active.  You also need to determine if those present are a direct or
indirect threat to the collection.  And, you need to determine at what
level you can tolerate them (numbers of insects). This is some of the
information that you use to determine your mitigation strategies.

Good question! Hope my thoughts help.
Gretchen