I asked my pest control contractor (who could finance a vacation home with all
of the bed bug work he's been doing) about bed bugs and books.  He's heard
anecdotal evidence of bed bugs harboring and laying eggs in books found near
beds.  For example, if there is a bookshelf located in a bedroom and the
infestation is heavy, the bedbugs may find their way to the books.  The chance
of circulating library books becoming infested would be less likely since they
don't spend a long time in anyone's house.

He's a fan of heat treatments as well.  They heat to 140F, aiming to ensure
that the materials will heat to 120F at their core.  His company, Adam's Pest
Control,  has portable heaters and generators and is capable of treating whole
buildings.  There may be something similar in your area.

Good luck,

Rebecca

Rebecca Newberry
Assistant Registrar