I just happened to read the article by Bob Koestler (A new approach on
conservation of wooden heritage), that includes the cited information that lead
to the recent discussion of nitrogen versus argon.

In his paper he says:
"Nitrogen has been used for insect control in food storage silos for decades. A
superficial understanding of its use there can lead one to conclude that it
will
be useful in the art field, but there are some potential drawbacks that
restrict
its utility for art. For one thing, nitrogen is not really inert. Although at
normal room conditions it is not believed to be reactive, nitrogen gas is an
essential requirement for some anaerobic microbesmicrobes that can survive
when
oxygen levels are low and when humidity levels in the material is conducive to
their growth."

Hence, he claims that at roomtemperature nitrogen is believed to be inert.
And second, he does not claim that nitrogen promotes microbial action, however,
some anaerobic microbes may not be killed by the treatment as they can utilize
the nitrogen for alternative respiration. These organisms must however, be
facultatively anaerobic (strickt anaerobes would have been killed in a normal
museum environment with the presence of oxygen), meaning that they were active
in the oxygen environment before the anoxia treatment and could not be killed
by
the treatment, just as most microorganisms, as many of them can survive in very
low oxygen levels.
I do not read any promotion of microbic growth into his words.

Liebe Grüße,
Stefanie Scheerer

Dr. Stefanie Scheerer

Mikrobiologie & Restaurierung