I would also state that you want to monitor to see if it is a stray occurrence or if it is something that is there to stay. For example, if the population starts small, increases to a peak, then falls and never returns - you had one generation only. But if it recurs and you have consistent levels, you have a breeding population. Accidental entries that find your area inhospitable are not a big worry. Populations that are feeding and breeding and happy in your area are a big worry.
Best,
Helen Alten

On 03/22/2011 10:01 AM, Anderson, Gretchen wrote:

In addition, you need to take into account the type of collection. Some collections are more sensitive than others. For example, if the collection contains a lot of wool and feather then it is highly sensitive to all pests that eat this type of material. And do not forget the archival material that are associated with the collection -- much of that is paper based -- so even a collection that is primarily inorganic, say a geology collection or paleontology collection will be subject to a significant loss of data if there is a serious silverfish or cockroach (for example) infestation.

Museum Pest Net is a great first stop to gain information on the main museum pests. Use the white-sheets. You will get a feel for it. Determine if it is active or not.

Good luck!
Gretchen Anderson

Conservator

Carnegie Museum of Natural History

*From:*pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net [mailto:pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net] *On Behalf Of *bugma...@aol.com
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:42 AM
*To:* pestlist@museumpests.net
*Subject:* Re: [pestlist] methodology to measure levels of pests?

It depends on the kind of pest:

If it's a webbing or case-making clothes moth - I'd say 2 or 3 is a level of concern. If it's the common carpet beetle - 4 or 5. If it's silverfish, probably 6 or more. If it's mice - 1. It also depends on where you find them. If carpet beetle larvae are feeding on dead insects on a glueboard, that's not as much concern as if they were feeding on a war bonnet or military uniform.

Tom Parker