From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of
David Cottier-Angeli
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:37 AM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: [pestlist] Killing pests with microwaves

Would someone have scientific references and more general information on
suggested technologies to kill some historical building wood beam pests?
They have yet not responded to repeated standard fumigation, anoxia and
injection treatments, mainly due to lack of access. The life cycle seems
to be between 4-5 years before
becoming fast-growing adults.  Please do not ask his name, as I have had
inconsistent identifications, but life is certainly there as
fresh saw dust is produced repeatedly and in high quantity.

The now suggested method is to uses microwaves (frequencies between 300
MHz (0.3 GHz) and 300 GHz) set to heat up to 60 deg. C.

Thank you for your help on this as timber is not my specific field of
knowledge.

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific
Forensic Experts

5C Route des Jeunes
CH-1227 Geneva
+41 22 300 19 55