From: ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of
Sharlane Gubkin
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:05 AM
To: pestlist@museumpests.net
Subject: [pestlist] carpet beetles in books

We received a set of valuable vellum-bound books as a gift in our
library that will be housed in Special Collections. The handmade boxes
for each book are lined with wool felt. During our routine check of
incoming gift items, we noticed some dead larvae of carpet beetles.
While nothing was found alive, and I have seen no new frass on the cart
where they are now stored, I was thinking of freezing them to be safe
since we have access to a local freezer at the Natural history Museum,
but do not know if this is OK for vellum.  The books are not wet. I
contacted Jerry Schiner from Keepsafe about anoxic treatment many times
but never hear back! Is it safe to just vacuum the books?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sharlane Gubkin

--