Hi Amy,

There is no hard and fast rule on setting thresholds.  There are simply to many
variables - the location of the museum, surrounding environments, the age of
the building, the type of collection (some are more susceptible than others).
The point of an IPM program is to reduce the level of risk to your collection
through best practices.  You need to find out what kind of pests you have in
the building so that you can strategically strike at the problem (or pest). The
threshold will depend on your situation.  The cost will depend on your
situation.

You are correct, insects (and other) pests will get in the building.  You
monitor to determine if the insects are a direct or an indirect threat to your
collection. Yes, you might be catching only ground beetles and other
incidentals - but, in that case, you are setting yourself up for the insects
that eat dead beetles - and these are the same that will infest wool rugs and
wool clothing, hide and fur clothing, taxidermy, scientific specimens...... the
list goes on and on.

An integrated pest management program (IPM) will help you reduce the risk of
having an infestation. An IPM helps you develop strategies to keep your
collection free from infestation.  I know that does not help with your question
- but only you can determine what the threshold is.  Ideally we would all like
no pests - but since we live in the real world - IPM is the best way to
approach the problem.

Linda - I agree with Tom. IPM can be very cost effective for small museums.  I
have worked with many small regional, tribal and small university museums
through the IPM class I teach. My students have come up with some very creative
and very inexpensive ways to monitor for pests. One of the efficiencies is that
if you know who is getting in and where they are coming from, you can often
block the holes which will help any efforts to control climate inside the
building.

Good luck!
Gretchen Anderson
Conservator