Hi Annie,
The freezer will work fine with that defrost cycle to kill insects. Your
objects will not re-warm as fast as the cycle, it will just stall cooling
down of the outer packaging and surface a bit depending on the duration of
the cycle, so it will be quite effective. It is better to have an efficient
and  'healthy' freezer with little load of frost inside the system in case
of power outage, which is of course one of the reasons the plastic bag is
placed around the objects for the treatment.

Sincerely,

Tom Strang   PhD
Senior Conservation Scientist | Scientifique principal en conservation
Canadian Conservation Institute | Institut canadien de conservation
Canadian Heritage | Patrimoine canadien
1030 Innes Rd. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0M5

tom.str...@pch.gc.ca
Téléphone | Telephone 613-998-3721 (extension 239)
Télécopieur | Facsimile 613-998-4721
Téléimprimeur (sans frais) 1-888-997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free)
1-888-997-3123