Hi Bernice

What a great idea.
I survived a massive insect infestation involving lots of dioramas and
ethnographic cases and it really got one thinking about practical design
details.
While I am short on time I think I could give you a quick list of my favourite
issues and maybe it will get others thinking.

It's always good to start with a survey of your institutions to see how various
designs have held up over time.
Old buggy, dirty cases are much more persuasive.

As you already said, it is all about cleanable, monitorable .....

Below I have listed some of the design details we commonly wind up discussing.

- seal exhibits very well with well know archival materials (overall case,
glazing, doors, light access)
        - bacca rod, sealants, gaskets
        - gaskets on doors etc, only work if there are enough pressure points,
so the gasket can do its job
        - if practical make it possible to change the lights without entering
the exhibit

- if an exhibit is fairly well sealed - consider positive pressure - simple,
low tech and it will save you so much work later on

- various parts of exhibits should be either
        - cleanable and monitorable
                - especially be careful of areas underneath, overtop, behind
cases
                - visualize the entire cleaning and monitoring process

        - OR tightly sealed up so they do not become quiet, dusty, areas that
can become quiet breeding ground for bugs
                - we have even been known to sprinkle borax under platforms
(with a label) before sealing up a "funny space" under a diorama platform

- make sure I can access a case for monitoring "quickly and easily" e.g. <1min
not 5 minutes or monitoring is just NOT realistic on a routine basis
        - also think about the impact of the "build outs" that might occur in
from on an access panel
        - these can leave you doing the limbo just to get to the access door

- plan for access to all parts of the exhibit and or removal of specimens e.g.
don't trap anything or make it so I can't reach it
        -  if a case if very large make sure
                - I can get to all parts in a realistic fashion e.g. I don't
have to empty the entire case
                - if necessary, reinforce some of the floor/ foregrounds in a
diorama so I can move around in the exhibit

- give me a useful place that I can hide a sticky trap (even if it has to be
colour matched somewhat)

- beware of small complicate areas that are hard to clean
        - avoid complicated little spaces that are prone to get dusty and can't
be realistically cleaned e.g. small spaces between a plinth and back of a case
        - we once had a gasket at the bottom of a large window that was
somewhat recessed  - when the window cleaners used a squeegee, damp dusty water
        accumulated in the little U-shaped trough between the glass, the gasket
and the wooden frame and the dusty wet area became a dermestid breeding
ground

- beware of bigger, quiet dusty areas that can become breeding grounds  for
pests
        - inside/under/adjacent to an exhibit/diorama - especially under
platforms
        - these areas can sometimes accumulate a spectacular amount of
unresolved museum paraphernalia, making it hard to clean

I hope this gets people's ideas going.

Carolyn Leckie