Holly,

My grandmother was always using essential oils and various plants/plant parts
for their reputed pest repellant properties in and around her gardens. In all
honesty, I had no way of knowing back then whether they actually worked.
However, holding on the old ways is still alive and well if the number of hits
from a Google search is any indication.

I found one publication from 1999 in the Journal of Medical Entomology in which
the researchers found that by and large several of the essential oils that they
tested did not serve to deter mosquitoes from landing on a person or from then
biting. The research group looked into this because of the long standing claims
about the properties of essential oils as insect repellents. The exceptions in
the study were clove oil, peppermint oil and thyme oil. Although effective as
repellents and bite preventatives, the concentrations had to be very high. The
required concentrations of the essential oils resulted in skin irritations on
the test subjects. Basically, the researchers were not too optimistic about the
use of essential oils as repellents

Your question, however, relates to using essential oils around a building
perimeter to deter/repel insects. There were several search hits for this topic
too. These were not vetted types of web sites, however (mostly of the old wives
tale type of explanations). However, there seems to be no end of claims for
using peppermint oil (and sometimes clove oil) to repel spiders, scorpions,
mice and all manner of pests. The proponents stated that they placed pieces of
cotton wool soaked in the oil at various points around the outside of the house
and noted positive results. I would imagine that Christa Deacy-Quinn could
provide references. She struck me as the type that would require such
documentation. I have to wonder, however, just how effective such things as
peppermint oil and clove oil actually are and how frequently they would require
replenishment.

As for suppliers, a search returned far too many alternative types of vendors
to count. Each was offering all types of essential oils packaged for use as
insect repellents. Some of these vendors were also selling macramé garments and
hanging plant holders (I could hear Grateful Dead tunes in the background). As
for the two of the most effective oils from the 1999 study, any GNC or pharmacy
should stock both clove oil and peppermint oil. Each is sold for personal use
as antiseptics, pain reducers etc. If you contact Christa, I would be
interested to learn what she has to say and whether she is aware of
documentation. This essential oil method might very well work under certain
conditions. I simply do not know firsthand.

Mike