> The details depend on the adaptive controller. Unfortunately, we haven't yet
> unified the interface for adaptive controllers, so, for example, TSALPHA and
> TSGL have different APIs. But both of them provide adaptive controllers now
> and the rate of increase can be limited.

Is there an example showing the use of these controllers?

> I think having these interfaces is really undesirable and that we should
> unify it, but the information provided by the error estimates for TSGL are
> quite different from most methods (OTOH, they seem to me noisy which limits
> their utility, but there are other possible reasons for that, including
> "starting methods").

Is it possible for the user to push a custom controller?  I.e. a call-back that
gets passed the SNES converged reason, the last SNES residual, the current
time-step size, the solution vector, etc.

This would provide an opportunity to apply a CFL condition, customise the
step-size adaptivity.

> It is obviously important that TS not just chug along without error if a
> timestep fails.
>
> So this is possible, but it's somewhat inconsistent between methods. It would
> help a great deal to build a suite of test problems that provide some way to
> evaluate error (even just through self-convergence) so that we can test
> whether an adaptive method is performing well.

Perhaps you could do this for the heat equation with harmonic initial data.

> My intent is to provide some common interface for adaptive controllers as
> well as some sample controllers. The controller can evaluate whether to
> accept or reject a step as well as choosing the next time step and, for the
> variable-order families, the method to use for the next step (selected from a
> list of candidate schemes). This is basically what I did in TSGL and later,
> and what Lisandro did in TSAlpha, but we need to unify the interface despite
> these methods giving us somewhat different information in their (embedded or
> extrapolated) error estimates.

This sounds great.

> I think TSAlpha has the best tested adaptive controller right now. Getting
> all the cool adaptive features into TSARKIMEX is next, hopefully with a
> unified interface for user-provided controllers.

So now that I have TSBEULER working for my problem, should I try to upgrade to
TSALPHA ?

Cheers,
Rich