Hey,

>> I bet that some Germans would still be very upset about an opt-out rather than an opt-in (yes, this is a cultural issue...).

Is there much value from a nagupgrade check at configure-time? Those who
download a fresh copy of PETSc don't have any benefit from the check. After the
installation, the check has no effect

   Karl,

    I don't understand? Is there a bug in the current code? If the user has
write access to the $PETSC_DIR directory it will print a nag at most once every
24 hours. Otherwise it will print a nag every time they do a make with the
PETSc makefiles. Is it not working for you?

Well, it is - but since my usual work flow involves a fresh pull and configure at the start of the day, I was incorrectly assuming that this is tied to configure. :-/

Best regards,
Karli