Yes, it is possible. I have run the test harness on cori submitting the
following script

#!/bin/bash -l

#SBATCH -N 1                      #Use 1 nodes
#SBATCH -t 02:00:00           #Set time limit
#SBATCH -p regular              #Submit to the regular 'partition'
#SBATCH -C knl,quad,cache  #Use KNL nodes

make PETSC_ARCH=arch-cori-avx512-opt MPIEXEC='srun -c 4 --cpu_bind=cores' -f
gmakefile test

The most important thing is probably setting the MPIEXEC according to the
system. But note that there are often limitations on number of nodes on large
machines. For example, Theta requires a minimum of 128 nodes.

Hong (Mr.)