Sorry for late reply.

> I'd welcome a PR to add options like --enable-g=meminit.
In docker? Or in petsc? According to Satish petsc’s —download-mpich already
does this by default.

>  I'd rather not make that general-purpose image use ch3:sock
Which image are you referring to? The image I use is jedbrown/mpich-ccache
which does ship MPICH configured with ch3:sock (see below).

MPICH Version:          3.3.2
MPICH Release date:     Tue Nov 12 21:23:16 CST 2019
MPICH Device:           ch3:sock
MPICH configure:        --disable-wrapper-rpath --with-device=ch3:sock
MPICH CC:       gcc    -O2
MPICH CXX:      g++   -O2
MPICH F77:      gfortran   -O2
MPICH FC:       gfortran   -O2