Note that we have only tested things with Sphinx 2.4.4, because we rely on a
custom extension to add the links to man pages.

We recently added a helper target in the top-level makefile, which sets up a
virtual environment for you with the same packages used for the ReadTheDocs
build. Perhaps you can try that, or it can give a hint as to how to set up your
own Python environment?

    cd $PETSC_DIR
    make sphinx-docs-clean
    make sphinx-docs-html
    open src/docs/sphinx_docs/_build/html/index.html