On 12/12/2014 16:07, Matthew Knepley wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM, David Scott <d.sc...@ed.ac.uk <mailto:d.sc...@ed.ac.uk>> wrote:

    How can I get GAMG to take into account the fact that I have more
    than one degree of freedom per node when it is producing a coarser
    grid? I am dealing with a problem in structural mechanics and have
    an unstructued grid. The matrix is read from a file produced by
    another application. The components of the displacement for a node
    are grouped together.

GAMG uses the block size from the matrix. Did you set that?

  Thanks,

     Matt

I did set the block size but I had a strange result from one of my runs and I wanted to check that I had done the right thing. I had seen the performance improvement that I expected for a 10^6 x 10^6 matrix but not for a 10^7 x 10^7 matrix (for which the performance was worse). I have subsequently tried a matrix of intermediate size for which I did see a performance improvement. I'll try to find out what is happening with the largest matrix.

Thanks,

David

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.